Delete or Close a Hotmail Account
Step 1: Go to Hotmail.com, sign in with your Outlook email address that you want to close and delete.
Step 2: Click your profile image in the upper-right corner of the inbox, choose “View account”.
Step 3: Click Security & privacy.
Step 4: Click More security settings.
If you receive a request to verify your identity, you need to enter your phone number or email ID and click “Send code”. Then Microsoft security code will be sent to your phone or to your inbox.
You enter that code to the box Code. Then click Submit.
Step 5: Scroll down and click “Close my account”.
Step 6: If there is a request for account login, don't worry. Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password. Enter password and click "sign in". Then click Next.
Step 7: Read the list, and click the checkboxes to acknowledge you’ve read every item. Then select a reason on the drop-down list, to explain why you want to close your account. Click on "Mark account for closure" after checking all boxes.
Step 8: A notification will appear to inform that you could re-open your Hotmail account within next 60 days. Click Done.
What will happen if you close your Outlook.com or Hotmail account?
Your Outlook.com or Hotmail account is your Microsoft account. When you close this account, you cannot use any of the services it provides.
- You’ll lose all of your emails and contacts.
- You’ll lose all of the entries made in your calendar.
- You’ll lose everything you may have placed in OneDrive.
- You’ll lose access to Office 365, if you have it.
- You’ll lose access to your XBox Live account, if it uses this Microsoft account’s email address.
- You’ll lose your ability to log in to Skype with this account.
Be considerate and aware of all these consequences before making the decision to closing your account.